Thursday, August 27, 2009

The First Sale



After creating assemblages for several years I finally worked up the courage to show my work to a local gallery owner. She accepted several of my pieces and asked me to attend the Friday evening Gallery event. It was thrilling to see my art being viewed by the public. But it was also very intimidating. My sweet husband stood near several of my pieces and casually made conversation to gauge customer reactions. I was not sure how dressforms with melted wax, shadow boxes with childrens books from the 1800's and altered old pin cushions would fare. Thankfully the reactions were all good.

A few weeks later I attended an art book swap and was introduced to a very nice lady named Judy. When Judy heard my name she got a big smile on her face and said, "You're Sheila! I just saw your work at the Green Rice Gallery. I love the "J" Box." What a wonderful way to meet a new friend! I had a smile on my face for a week.
I went in several times during the first few months to see if anything had sold or if the owner had any recommendations for actually selling a piece of art. She was very kind and encouraging and said there was plenty of interest but I needed to give it time.

And then it happened.... I sold a piece! After so many months of waiting it happened.

My advice for anyone that wants to follow your gallery dream - surround yourself with artists, friends and family that believe in you and your work. I would not have approached the gallery if one of my biggest fans (my lovely sister Karen) had not encouraged me with her love and support. I would not have had the courage to listen to what customers had to say about my art without standing beside my husband (my high school sweetheart and husband for 25 years) and letting him lead the way. I might have pulled my work if I wasn't so encouraged by Judy and her kind words.

Interestingly enough the very first sale has wonderful old newspaper from 1867 and if you look close enough you will be treated with a story about faith and the glory of god.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet and true leap of faith it takes. But if your art comes from your heart (which I can see it does) you can not go wrong! Good for you, my inspiring sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you. I'm sure it was hard but exciting to throw your work out for the world's critique, but your art needs to be seen. Walking through your house and looking at your creations was a highlight of our trip last summer. Thank you for sharing with us. The world is blessed to be able to see it!

    ReplyDelete